Patient Complaint Policy, Porter Hospital, Inc.
It is the policy of Porter Hospital, Inc. to respond to all patient complaints related to care, treatment, or services in a manner consistent with the procedure described below. A copy of the Patient's Rights and Responsibilities, which includes information related to the process for filing a complaint, shall be provided to patients and/or their legal representative at the time of admission. This information is also widely posted throughout the hospital. Patients and/or their legal representative may submit a complaint utilizing one of the following methods:
- Verbal complaints may be submitted directly to any Porter Hospital employee, and will be forwarded to the appropriate Department Manager or Nursing Supervisor for immediate response and attempt at resolution.
- Telephone complaints shall be directed to the Customer Service line, which can be reached internally at extension 5699, or dialed directly at (802) 388-5699.
- Written complaints shall be directed to the following address:
- Customer Service, 115 Porter Drive, Middlebury, Vermont, 05753
Complaints related to billing shall be forwarded to the Director of Patient Financial Services, who can be reached at internal extension 5680, or dialed directly at (802) 388-5680.
In the event a grievance is unable to be resolved to the patient or patient representative's satisfaction, they will be advised of the option to appeal the decision directly to the Administrator overseeing the Department in question, or if the patient wishes to discuss their grievance with someone outside the hospital, the patient will be advised that they may contact the following agencies:
Vermont Department of Health, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05401
(802)657-4220 or toll free in Vermont (800) 745-7371
Vermont Board of Medical Practice, Vermont Department of Health, P.O. Box 70, Burlington, VT, 05402
(802) 657-4220 or toll free in Vermont (800) 745-7371
Division of Licensing and Protection, Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living, 103 South Main Street, Ladd Hall, Waterbury, Vermont 05671
(802) 241-2345 or toll free in Vermont (800) 564-1612
The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181
Return to Hospital Report Card Menu